Monday, August 18, 2008

The history of the white coat?!?

I find it funny how everyone and their mother have to wear white coats at hospitals now. Growing up I was under the impression that this was reserved for the Physicians. Here is a quote from an article from the AMA regarding the white coat:

"The white coat has served as the pre-eminent symbol of physicians for over 100 years. A child’s earliest memory of a doctor is the person in the white coat. Patients expect to be treated in doctors’ offices, hospitals and clinics by an individual wearing white. At virtually every medical school, the first symbolic act is the "White Coat Ceremony" originated by Arnold P. Gold, MD. This is the ceremonial "cloaking" of a doctor-to-be as she or he embarks on a medical career."

"The White Coat Ceremony, as envisioned by Dr. Gold, welcomes those embarking on their medical careers to the community of physicians by giving them this powerful symbol of compassion and honor. It also gives them a standard against which they must measure their every act of care to the patients who trust them."

--------------------

I was reading up on the student doctor forums and I came across a rather hillarious story, and I quote:

"One day I was standing at the nurse's station in the Emergency Department drinking my Diet Cherry Coke during a rare quiet moment when I saw a guy in a Long White Coat and scrubs walking down the hall. I knew he wasn't a doctor by his demeanor and bearing but I idly surmised that maybe he was a respiratory tech or a Nurse Practitioner...you know, someone like that.

He stopped at his janitorial cart, put on his iPod, grabbed a toilet brush and proceded to give the crapper in a hall bathroom the most righteous cleaning I have ever seen. He was an artist. A true craftsman and that ****ing bathroom was absolutely spotless." -Panda Bear (www.studentdoctor.net)

Another great quote...



"If physicians started wearing wizard hats in the hospital, we would soon see dieticians, NPs/PAs, nurses, and pharmacists doing the same." -Unknown

I got a good laugh at both of them, so I share them for all to view! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home